Old October 29th 03, 03:42 AM
Larry Smith

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
John Stricker wrote:

These conversions AREN'T certified.

No engine installed in a homebuilt is.

Am I reading you correctly? Has the rule changed? I remember 25 hours
fly-off time on a certified engine in a new experimental and 40 in an
experimental aircraft with a non-certified engine. If the certified engine
later comes out of the experimental, as long as it has been maintained as a
certified engine, it can go back into a certified aircraft, right? But if
you do something to the engine to cause it to lose its certification, like
using non-approved parts, you must remove the data plate.

Back to the FARs.

In effect WE are the certifying entity and as such the
responsibility falls on us and we can't make that decision
with glossed over reports of "trouble-free" service.

I agree absolutely. I also realize and accept that
the developer is hardly an impartial observer and
is likely to sugar-coat their results. I'd never
buy an airplane or an engine (certificated or otherwise)
without digging deeper than a website. I'll never be
the first to buy or fly.

Dave 'caveat surfer' Hyde

Lycoming-powered RV-4