Old May 1st 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Default Crunch Alert (USA) - hugely serious but (apparently) non-fatal

Static lines are not used here in the UK for the very good reason that
pilots tend to exit the glider wearing the parachute and walk away.

Slow learners, eh? ;-)

Don't know what the rules are in other European countries but I Germany, wearing a chute while in training is mandatory. Since a static line chute pulls the rip-chord for you, this is what we exclusively used in our trainers. I have seen two guys bail out of a L13 (wing came off) using static line chutes and both where fully deployed in a very short time after exiting! Each European-designed glider I know of has a hard-point to attach the static line to. Said hard point is marked in red.