Old August 9th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default "Ground Launches" by Derek Piggott

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:48:33 PM UTC-6, Randy Teel wrote:
I am reading "Ground Launches" by Derek Piggott. In his book he

make mentions that "he likes to give a comprehensive briefing about

launch failures by audio tape because that ensures that all the vital

parts are covered".

Does anyone have an audio file of this briefing?

Randy

I'm happy you are reading Piggot's work. I don't have the audio but I can add that while winch training spends a huge amount of time on launch failures, 85% or more of the real-world "winch accidents" don't involve launch failure directly. They're really landing accidents where the pilot is launched, achieves controlled free flight in a position from where a safe landing could have been made but fails to do so. From the accident report narratives, it appears they never got around to actually flying the glider. There is no reason a winch launch failure should lead to an accident.