Old November 5th 20, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Gliding Club Experiences

" I logged 8 hours at the airport for every 1 hour flown."

Given that it takes several people on the ground to service an aircraft with a single student onboard, and that there is probably a 1hr 30 minimum time from opening the hangar doors to first take-off, with similar at the end of the day, that might be a typical scenario at a volunteer operated club (winch driver, wing tip person, signaller, cable retrieve driver). What would you think was a reasonable proportion for a student at a volunteer operated club?

At my club, we require students to be present for a minimum half day - for which they may get less than an hours flying, depending on conditions. On weekdays when there are fewer around it is normal for students and those flying club gliders to be present for the full day.

Once you become an experienced pilot flying cross country, on a day when you fly cross country your flying time can enormously exceed your time on the ground - but typically the experienced pilots are also the volunteer instructors and tug pilots, and maybe also the committee members who work hard to keep the club running.

If you don't enjoy the things you have to do at the airfield when you are not flying, perhaps gliding at a volunteer club is not for you.