View Single Post
Old March 21st 18, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

.... And so is "gas".Â* Try putting jet fuel in your piston engine and see
what happens.Â* Or diesel in your car or vice versa.Â* I used to gas up
the jet and the King Air after a mission or flight, but I never used
avgas or mogas in any of them.

The Boeing 787 didn't use LiFePO4 batteries, either, if I"m not
mistaken.Â* Their "generic" lithium ion batteries had a tendency to burn
during ground charging.Â* Generic terms can get one killed in certain
circumstances.

On 3/20/2018 10:51 PM, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 8:29:30 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, what immediately comes to mind is the confusion between LiFePO4 and Lithium Ion. Those are different chemistries. I used LiFePO4 and charged them over the winter months in NM (lots of zub-freezing nights) using the chargers supplied with the batteries without any problems. After a year of removing the batteries and taking them home to charge, I had the confidence to leave them installed in the glider, in the hangar, with the chargers connected and plugged in. Again, no problems with LiFePO4. YMMV.

Dan

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 8:38:12 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
When researching a step up to LiFePO4, I stumbled across this tidbit at http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...w_temperatures

"Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium can occur on the anode during a sub-freezing charge. This is permanent and cannot be removed with cycling. Batteries with lithium plating are more vulnerable to failure if exposed to vibration or other stressful conditions. Advanced chargers (Cadex) prevent charging Li-ion below freezing."

Advancements are being made to charge Li-ion below freezing temperatures. Charging is indeed possible with most lithium-ion cells but only at very low currents. According to research papers, the allowable charge rate at –30°C (–22°F) is 0.02C. At this low current, the charge time would stretch to over 50 hours, a time that is deemed impractical. There are, however, specialty Li-ions that can charge down to –10°C (14°F) at a reduced rate."

The also applies to lithium battery in your phone/computer. If you should happen to leave it in a cold place, you might want to warm it up before charging.

There's no confusion between LiFePO4 and Lithium Ion because LiFePO4 IS a Lithium Ion battery. Lithium Ion is a generic term that includes all lithium chemistries.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...of_lithium_ion

--
Dan, 5J