Old April 15th 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_2_]

Default Blue Ridge Crash

At 09:33 15 April 2011, Peter F wrote:
At 03:59 15 April 2011, Nick Kennedy wrote:

I am also a big fan of launchin
with the spoilers open and have been doing it now for several years wit
good results.

Nick Kennedy
Grob Twin Astir TF
LS-6 XS

Consider the two scenarios.

1) You start the launch with the brakes locked, your hand on the

release.
You drop a wing pull off, start again.

2) You start the launch with you hand on the open airbrakes, not on the
release. You drop a wing, can't pull off, groundloop, smash your glider
to bits.

Which one makes you feel more of an idiot?

What does it say in your flight manual bout launching?

Have you actually bothered to read that bit of the manual?

PF

I think we should possibly make a distinction between types of launch. I
normally winch launch, done many thousands of 'em, and there is only one
place my left hand is, and that is holding the release. The accident
happens too quickly to be able to grab for it, and it has never resulted
in an inadvertant release. When the accident happens it is always a badly
damaged glider, often injuries, sometimes worse.
There may be a little more time on aerotow, but personally I still hold
the release, letting go to move flaps if fitted, when I'm happy with
lateral control.
Dave