Old July 16th 12, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Texas Tragedy Info?

On Jul 16, 6:41*am, Jim wrote:

If I suspected CG problems I'd prefer to not release but go around and land with the towplane. No?

Jim - On tow sometime, try asking the towplane to enter a shallow
descent for 15-30 seconds. Do it near the airfield because I'm
guessing you'll release once you realize you're overrunning the
towplane at a pretty rapid rate. The way to stop the overrrun is to
deploy spoilers and/or slip the aircraft. But if you're concerned
about controlability do you really want to do either?

I'm not advocating any single course of action as the "correct" way to
deal with the situation, but trying to land with the towplane is a
tricky maneuver - and not just during the flare but throughout the
whole pattern & descent. If you haven't done it a bunch before, I
don't think you want to be "learning" in a real emergency. :-P

Take care,

--Noel