Old October 29th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Alternative magnetic compass

From the LAK-17a Flight Manual:

For cloud flying the following additional equipment is required:

- variometer;
- magnetic compass compensated in the sailplane;
- turn and bank indicator, non-icing;
- transceiver;
- parachute, automatic or manual opening type;
- thermometer for outside air;
- non-icing airspeed system.

The minimum equipment must correspond with national regulations.

I've been instrument rated for about 41 years and I don't know what a
non-icing turn and bank indicator is or how it works. Could someone
enlighten me, please? And let's not forget the pitot /and/ static
heat! Maybe total energy probe heat, as well. There's a mag compass
mounted at the far forward end of my glare shield (probably from the
factory) with a nice, flat black aluminum hood over it. It's below the
level of the plexiglass and unobtrusive and I practically never look at
it. Instead, I use that mountain 100 miles distant to orient myself.

On 10/28/2015 10:12 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Oops, I stand corrected, the TCDS for the Libelle requires a compass, HOWEVER, the pilot manual says that the compass is only required for cloud flying.

--
Dan, 5J