Old December 15th 13, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default ZAON PCAS MRX

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 18:51:26 -0800, qnimclimber wrote:

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:54:05 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Are these units reliable and worth having in your glider?

Are they consistent enough to trust in a real threat situation?

Nick

Extremely hard to mount on the glare shield in a Glasflugel Std.
Libelle. No glare shield.
Used one in my previously owned LS-1f and in our club's L-23/L-13s But
alas and alack... it needs to be mounted somewhere in the Libelle.

IME anything with a separate control/display unit is easy to mount in a
Libelle but single box instruments may be not so easy. For example,
installing a Swiss FLARM would be difficult because its essentially the
same as a ZAON PCAS - a small box with display on the front, antenna on
top and power cable coming out the back or underside. OTOH, I had no
problems at all installing a Red Box flarm. Its electronics box and
antennas went into or in front of my Libelle's instrument tray and the
25mm x 50mm display occupies a couple of square inches of my panel
between the top and middle row of instruments. Photos he

http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/panel.html

Scroll down to the FLARM rebuild section to see the pilot's side and
click on 'behind the panel' and to see where I put the Red Box
electronics, GPS antenna and FLARM dipole antenna.

Could you mount the MRX on a RAM fleximount in front of the panel? As you
can see, I've done that with the satnav I use to run LK8000 and am
pleased with the result: the satnav is still effectively part of the
panel and comes out with it when the two screws at the top are removed.
The fleximount lets me position it so that all panel-mounted instruments
are visible. RAM don't sell a standard attachment for the satnav, but it
was easy enough to use the clip that came with it and make an adapter to
attach the clip to the fleximount from 1.5mm epoxy plate and four screws.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK