Old January 16th 13, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Default USA and FAI rules

Amen to that. I think that there was too much push for "fairness" in soaring. There will always be losers and winners. Anybody not willing to accept that fact should give up soaring and take on knitting. "Someone" is, in my opinion, skewing facts about the FAI rules and this is why soaring pilots (many of which have never read the FAI rules) are “somewhat” skeptical about adopting the FAI rules. This issue is similar to the adoption of the metric system in the USA- the entire world is using it and we are not. We are paying price for that. When someone looks at the contest scores at the world level we are coming next to last. This time in Argentina we have a pilot who is actively promoting adoption of the FAI rules by the soaring community and the SSA. This pilot, Sean Franke, is actually performing better than many pilots representing the US in the past twenty some years. All the whining should go away; fly what you have. If you can’t compete in 15m, standard, then fly the sports class, or if adopted the FAI Club Class. Fly whatever you can afford and enjoy it. You need to do what is right for the sport and not what, at the moment, is good for you. This sport is dying in the USA. I am not a teenager anymore, but I am one of the youngest guys at any airport I visited in the past and I have been flying for 33 years now. Support the FAI rules; if not for you than maybe for someone who can make best of it. Jacek, Pasco, WA