Old January 17th 13, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
who's me?

Default USA and FAI rules

Respectfully I have known P1 since he weighed 172 lbs. and had dark hair and probably the only one to have kiss the top of his bald head ( Cordele Nantionals). His concerns regarding the rules we fly under have been a nagging thorn in his side and will most likely carry them to his grave.
I was in his camp until a light bulb went off at a SRC meeting in Perry a few years ago when a Committee member revealed some of the FAI rules that I found hard to accept, mainly in the scoring area. At this meeting was a former US Team member and he informed me that not flying under FAI rules did not really affect his flying at the Worlds. I now believe that the rules the US competes under are far better than FAI in allowing me to enjoy what all of the deserving have created.
I do fear the impact of flarm, if any for those smart enough to game it to an advantage or now the use of radio chatter at regionals. I can only hope that the idea to drop the worst day, whether some of us are believed by others not to fully understand it, will never rear its ugly head.
Sorry Ray, I think the world has it wrong and we have the best. You and others helped create what to me is downright magic. Carry that with you and let the World chips fall where they may.