Old May 21st 16, 02:09 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn Simon[_2_] View Post
On 5/18/2016 10:34 AM, Walt Connelly wrote:
I am not current in a glider to
fly passengers although I still fall within the 24 month requirement of
3 aerotows. Again I don't think this alone would safely permit me to
fly the towplane.

In many-many different ways, simply complying with the FARs is not
sufficient to guarantee even a minimum of safety. That is why insurance
requirements often go well beyond the FARs, and why we must apply our
own common sense every time we fly.

Believe me, if the FARs were really written with maximum safety in mind,
you wouldn't like the result! For example: As it stands, for small
aircraft you normally don't even legally need a checkout to fly a
different aircraft within the class and category you are certified for.
Obviously that could be dangerous, right? So would you be happier with
a requirement for a separate type rating for every different model of
aircraft? I know I wouldn't!

Let's apply common sense to our flying and never even imply that we need
more regulations!

Vaughn
Vaughn,

I don't believe that I implied that we need more regulations. I do believe we need to eliminate regulations with bring nothing regarding safety to the table such as allowing someone to become recurrent and qualified to fly tow after having flown a glider on three aerotows. I'm fine with the three actual or simulated tows with another qualified tow pilot.

Walt