Old June 8th 20, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default How reliably do CG hooks disconnect when the angle of the ropeexceeds the autorelease angle

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 8:33:23 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone have experience with non-Tost rings failing to release in Tost releases?

I've been warned about this possibility, and I know how to verify that a ring is genuine Tost. The explanation that I've been given is that 'hardware store rings' change shape with use and that at some point the elongation prevents the release.

That is correct - there is a good chance that a hardware store ring or a chain link can deform and kind of swage itself onto the beak inside the Tost hook, making it very difficult to release. That subject was discussed in great length in the 'winchdesign' forum.

Uli
'AS'