Old March 6th 04, 01:12 PM
John Carrier

I can't speak for the FITRON Ready Rooms, but in Attack there was always
CEP, Bulls-Eye patches and Top Stick / Top Scope competitions. BTW, if

you
can't get aboard, then you can't prosecute the mission. If you can get
aboard, you probably have the skills to do most anything.

It's been my experience that with rare exceptions, most aviators have strong
suites and weaknesses. I've known many guys who were consistent top ten yet
a grape in ACM or a dullard in air-to-mud. Vice versa as well.

Your observation that the on and off the boat skill is necessary to mission
completion is spot on, but I've always thought it overemphasized. If an
aviator has achieved basic competence in carrier landings, there's no real
effort made to improve his remaining skills. (Put a string of no-grades on
the board and you'll get personal attention from CO, LSO, CAG LSO ... not
unreasonable ... but be a perennial loser elsewhere and you'll get the rep,
but rarely remedial training).

R / John