Old January 17th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Default Why does the shuttle throttle on ascent?

I read that. Nice double meaning. However I think Navy pilots get to 9
G's like AF Raptor pilots do. I was just explaining to the ones that
thought the max Q issue was 3 G's, which it is not.

Bud

Danny Deger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
The shuttle actually throttles back twice during ascent. The first time
is at max Q. This is not a 3 G situation for the vehicle. After the
solids are dropped, the shuttle again throttles back in the last 30
seconds or so before main engine cut-off, so as to not exceed 3 G's of
forward acceleration when the fuel is almost gone. Whether this is due
to a structural or other reason, I'm not sure. But structural makes the
most sense for several reasons, weight being the primary one.

Bud

The answer is:
So Navy fighter pilots can fly the shuttle :-)

Danny Deger

snip