Old December 1st 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default New winch height record

"John Smith" wrote in message
Del C wrote:

With the Tost winches we use at Lasham, the pilot has
no control over the speed,

We have a Tost winch, too, and the pilot has definitely some degree of
control over the speed. The winch driver gives the tension depending on
how much the pilots pulls. But then the winch driver holds that tension
and the pilot makes the fine adjustments. No way a winch driver could
adjust precisely and quickly enough.

It's like a dialogue between the winch driver and the pilot. It requires a
certain experience and feeling from both to yield good results.

But having winched at many sites, I know that there are huge differences
among the "winch cultures". A pilot must be able to immediately feel how
he is winched and to adopt accordingly.

Winch culltures and varying winch driver techniques is one reason computer
controlled cable tension is such a good idea. It puts the airspeed control
firmly in the hands of the pilot. You get a near perfect launch every time
in every glider pretty much regardless of conditions.

Bill Daniels