Old March 3rd 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default GPS Longevity

On Mar 3, 7:50 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote :

On Mar 3, 5:47 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote
innews:kaLyj.59040$yE1.36721@attbi_s21:

Of course, it is much easier just to get the Garmin 396 or 496
but
I much prefer a larger screen. So if Lowrance does not come up with
an XM weather capable GPS next month, I will most likely get the
AvMap.

Good plan. Although having XM weather on board has been fantastic,
and (in the two years we've flown with it on-board) weather has
made our flying MUCH safer, I often regret buying the 496.

The 496 has an undersized screen, with poor readability (compared
to the competition), a slow processor that drives us nuts, and it
cost as much as my Toyota pickup truck. It's actually a much
better "entertainment center" (with XM radio) than it is a good
GPS, which is why we rely on our Lowrance 2000c as our primary
navigator in flight.

Not that the 496 doesn't have nice features. The AOPA data is
quite useful, and the airport diagrams are great. But the
underlying design of the unit itself is inferior to the
competition, and the price is just stupidly high. If I didn't have
on-board weather yet, I'd either wait for Garmin to fix the flaws
in the 496, or I'd wait for Lowrance and AvMap to *finally* mount
the weather horse.

God grief, do you ever look out the window?

Bertie

What's there to see? He's flying over Iowa....

Well, another airplane maybe!

Bertie

DOH!!