Old April 17th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Hauling a trailer by rail or car-carrier truck

On Apr 16, 7:36 pm, wrote:
On Apr 16, 6:31�pm, Barny wrote:

Uli, I concur with avoiding rail. Here in Detroit our most severe auto
test used to be the rail simulator. Rail has a constant shake from the
track's joints that used to wear a car's suspension out before it
reached the dealership.
�I second the advice on using U-Ship.com, I used it twice to move a
glider with good results. �Just be patient, the first bids will be
outrageous. Set a target price that's fair, and set flexible pick up
and delivery dates. This group is also a good place to find a "tow
ball", which I did as well (Thanks Frank).
~Barny

I have a friend who was a hobo and rode the rails 30-40 years ago and
he told me that the closest he ever came to death was when he hopped a
freight car with a bad wheel. Almost shook him to death....

I shipped by container, rail then boat, once. Somewhere, the
container was dropped some distance as the fuselage dolly was found
crushed when the container was opened. Thankfully, that dolly was
homebuilt and the crushing didn't damage the fuselage. FWIW, one of
the anchorsw inside the container had also come adrift. The stout
trailer was still attached to the strap band. Since then, I've
preferred ro-ro.

Frank Whiteley