Old June 1st 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Orienting the Approach.

On May 31, 10:58*pm, Dave Doe wrote:
In article , betwys1
@sbcglobal.net says...

On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

* Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

Perhaps it's a left-hand circuit (std) and they want you to join
downwind, right-hand. *That's what it sounds like to me.

--
Duncan.

The rote reply would be to fly an upwind on 17L, cross wind across the
thresholds of 35R and if the runways are far enough apart 35L, then
fly the downwind as cleared. I'd be asking tower a LOT of questions
though. The approach might make sense if 17R-35L was closed: right
hand traffic would keep airplanes over the airport instead of whatever
might be to the west of 17L-35R

Eyeballs outside the cockpit for sure!