View Single Post
Old October 31st 20, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

Problem is, Chip, that over the 18 years you've paid for that van over again in insurance cost. That's the hurdle in the way of keeping an extra vehicle dedicated to soaring. I think insurance should cost by the total miles you drive over all your vehicles, alas they don't do it that way. Annual "registration" (pure bureaucracy, our most regressive tax) also costs quite a bit, and in some states they also charge you a percentage of the vehicle value every year in taxes.

Good points. Registration cost is not a big deal in NJ although insurance is one of the highest in the country. But it's a second vehicle, one driver, and I do provide estimated miles per year to the insurance co. every year on their form so as a 21-year-old vehicle and with a big deductible, the only big expense is liability. Some insurers are offering mileage-based coverage now but I haven't investigated it. With retirement looming, that may make sense for me going forward (pre-COVID, my daily commute was 60 miles roundtrip).

I'd almost certainly have a second vehicle anyway, just as a backup. This way I have a soaring-specific vehicle. I can drive it to the office if I have to but typically only to put a few miles on it to keep it running. And we did use it last year for a family reunion trip.

Frankly, as much as I sleep in it at contests (and to/from for long hauls), I'm still ahead on $ even though that's more of a benefit than a primary reason for having it. If I tried to justify my soaring expenses based on cost or ROI, I'd have to get out of the sport. And sleeping in the van every night isn't for everyone. I get odd looks each time I show up at a contest and tell them where I'm staying.

Speaking of which, the one reason I didn't consider a pickup truck is the sleeping capacity. With my family size at home at the time, I would have had to go the crew cab route and that limits the bed length and, hence, sleeping options. If not for that, I would definitely have looked at 4WD pickup trucks, in particular as the weather in NJ where I live makes AWD a nice thing during the winter.

The point several have made is that you have to define your personal objective(s) and criteria, then evaluate each option against those to arrive at the best choice. For me it was a used cargo van that I converted myself and am still using almost 20 years later.

Chip Bearden
JB