Old January 8th 21, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default GOAT ASW20

kinsell wrote on 1/8/2021 2:48 PM:
On 1/8/21 3:42 PM, wrote:

.
Come down to Vero this spring, I promise a great time. Bob
I think 20's are great but, with my back, I would not trade the seating position, warm feet
and comfort of my DG300 for a 20. I also preferred the DG300 responsiveness. The canopy gave
me plenty of room to give a nice wave as the 20, 27 and 29s go by though and the trash
talking was justifiably immense when it was me rarely going by.
DG300 - 511 produced from 1983 to 2006 for comparison.

Geoff
MQ-5C

Geoff, the DG 300 is a nice sailplane, just not on the same level as the 20. I never flew a
nicer ride than my old 20L, I look at the DG and compare it to kissing my sister, I could do
better or I could do worse!

Seems like back in the day, the '20 had a reputation for spinning in a lot.* Maybe Darwinism
helped weed out the pilots with inadequate spin training?

Early on, there were a half-dozen or so incidents. After that, no worse than other gliders, and
I don't recall any explanation. The C model I flew for 1500 hours never tried to spin - very
docile.