Old January 9th 21, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GOAT ASW20

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 1:26:04 AM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:
On 1/8/21 5:53 PM, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
The problem with the initial model of the ASw 20 spinning inadvertently was caused by poor pilot training coupled with this idea that having the CG way aft was the way to go.
Pilots would put down the 55 degree flaps and forget or just not, trim for a pattern speed hands off.
The flaps are large, and if you put them full down and forget to trim and get distracted and let go of the forward pitch pressure the plane will rapidly slow down and stall. Coupled with low altitude and a full aft CG this situation was a recipe for disaster. And yes, there were several accidents.
When I got my ASw 20 check out this issue was beat into me by a couple of sharp cookies.
I never had a problem.
The fully rear CG thing is interesting, working with Tom Brenza in MoriarityNM I started out at about 50% aft for about 60 hours. Then I went to about 85% aft. Then, I thought anyway, doing alot of high speed cruising at 17+ out west my plane climbed great and ran best at about 60% aft CG.
Every thing I have owned easily spins, Except our ASK 21- My Blanik L-13 was a great ship to do as many spins as you wanted in both directions. My Ka6 CR was really good at controllable multiple, long duration spins, as is my LS3a.
I spent a Fall living in Fort Collins Co and got checked out in their C-150.
I would come over CX house high and spin that thing like crazy, musta done 200+ in that thing and got really comfortable doing them.
Nick

Found an article that claims the '20 spins like a top with landing gear
down and landing flaps selected, but is stable otherwise:

http://flsc.org/portals/12/PDF/Spinning.pdf

The sister ship to my old 20 was involved in one of those fatal spin accidents, those accidents usually occurred while the flaps were in the landing position which may have been the reason for the change in flap extension in the later models. The over the top spin happened without much warning, I did it several times purposely to show Fonz how it reacted. He had a later model that would not replicate the over the top move.
The nickname given to the early 20's was , "The Killer", it did not deserve that reputation, flown correctly with correct cg it was a very docile and beautifully flying bird. My wife flew that 20 for many fun hours and she added about 30 pounds of weight under her seat to obtain a good cg.
Yes, zooming that beast into a thermal was a delightful ride, it seemed like it would never stop climbing, those floppy wings were a sight to behold.