Old May 15th 05, 03:59 AM
private

I can't help you with terrain but

When the local FSS were closed NavCan recognized that the briefers in the
centers may lack the local knowledge that the local FSS had provided. A
project to gather this local knowledge for briefer training lead to the
production of weather manuals for each of the weather regions. These
manuals are available on their website. The general weather chapter seems
to be common to each manual.

for weather manuals

http://www.navcanada.ca
click english
under flight operations
click local weather manuals

for aviation weather

http://www.navcanada.ca
click english
under flight operations
click aviation weather web site
click route data tab(my favorite) or local data tab

Blue skies to all

"JJS" jschneider@remove socks cebridge.net wrote in message
Reposted without the no-archive sig line per Mr./Mrs./Ms.Grumman-581's
wishes.

I've been invited on a Canadian fishing trip and would like to fly
myself and one passenger to Red Lake, Ontario. We leave June 16th.
I am in the process of preliminary flight planning. I've browsed
the AOPA website for info and called Canadian customs. This will be
my first border crossing and would appreciate any help from you
guys.

Back ground info: I am a VFR pilot only. I have around 800 hours
and I have 3 or 4 cross country trips of similar length under my
belt. I am more comfortable with non-towered airports but have
flown under the Dallas - Fort Worth Class B area some and have no
real fear of towered airports. I've flown into Oshkosh twice. I
just trained and am more familiar with non-towered fields and seem
to meet nice people at smaller fields. To be brutally honest, my
radio skills are adequate but probably not much better, (in spite of
reading Bob Gardners book). Mainly just from lack of practice.
There are few towered fields near my home base. I have an autogas
STC for my Cherokee 140 and will use it if available, but it is not
a show stopper at all if I have to buy 100LL. The Cherokee will be
loaded to within 100 pounds of gross, so adequate runways are a
must, say 2500 feet minimum. A leg length of about 300 NM is
preferred due to fuel & bladder management issues.

1. I would appreciate any advice on airports and small airplane
friendly FBO's along the 900 + nautical mile route from Woodward,
Ok.(KWWR) - Grand Island, Ne. (KGRI) - Sioux Falls, SD (KFSD) -
Baudette, Mn (KBDE) - Red Lake, Ontario (CYRL).

2. Due to the trip length we will probably overnight in Baudette or
somewhere near and I would appreciate recommendations concerning
hotel, rental or courtesy car, and eatery accommodations in that
area. AirNav.com's fuel price data is pitifully ancient on many
airports along this route.

3. If anyone has used Baudette customs coming back into the states,
I would like to hear of your experiences there.

4. Looking over the charts I ordered, the area between Baudette and
Red Lake appears to be full of swamp, lakes and forest with very,
very few emergency landing sites. Safer route suggestions along
this leg would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone
familiar with the area and its terrain. A detour, even of a hundred
miles or more in the interest of safety will be carefully
considered.

5. For those of you with meteorological crystal balls... What can I
expect for weather conditions in the vicinity of Red Lake and North
of the border in mid - June. I am familiar with the thunderstorms
marching across the plains this time of year but not so familiar
with weather systems that seem to park themselves for days at a time
over one area. Is there much chance of getting weathered in for
more than a day or two?

--
Joe Schneider
8437R