Old January 5th 15, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default What is the L/D penalty of outside mounted GoPros?

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:55:47 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I am thinking about trying to do some soaring videos. Inside the cockpit footage only is boring and I want to be more like Balleka with amazing outside camera shots. The reason why I haven't done much is concern over the performance penalty of outside cams while trying to do longer XC flights.

Bruno - get one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Head-on (tail mount) it has a frontal area of .004 sq ft and sideways (wingtip mount) it has a frontal area of .02 sq ft. If you mount it on the tail where the vertical meet the horizontal or out on the tip of the horizontal stab it will have practically zero drag. I will 3D print you a fairing for the sideways mount if you like. That's how much I like your videos.

9B