Old January 6th 15, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA

Default What is the L/D penalty of outside mounted GoPros?

Bruno,
You just posted a video of some Wave flying using two cameras in your cockpit. That was awesome. For me that was all I needed. Some great wing flex with two perspectives at the same time is perfect.

Surge, I agree about crappy battery life in the cameras. I solved this problem with a solderng iron. It voids warranty, but FYI you can hardwire your go pro/sony cam into a 12v to 5v stepdown and run it off the glider battery.. This way you get endless video. I think Paul @ Cumulus has some 5v battery options as well...anway, I'm doing this currently and have landed with 5 hrs of extremely boring, continuous flight video of flatland soaring....I need to move to the mountains!