Old February 16th 18, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Morgan

Default 2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 6:00:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
With respect to flight training, we could also consider using simulation to perform the 80% of glider flight training for which it is perfectly adequate (in fact, in many ways highly superior). This would allow clubs / commercial operations to concentration their limited financial resources on the acquisition and maintenance of far fewer (e.g. one), but much nicer (DG1000, ASK-21, etc.) actual aircraft.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

Scott Manley - 316716CFI
a.k.a. The Condor Guy

During my days as a flight instructor at Embry Riddle, they had the same idea that simulators could replace much of the private pilot training. A test program was started under Part 142 rules, level 7 visual sims (aka the Puke Machine) was used. After the third C172 suffered heavy damage from a landing accident (no injuries), they went away from that idea pretty fast.

Sims have their place, but nowhere close to 80%.