Old July 16th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default How similar are the 1-34 and 2-32 to fly?

On Jul 16, 11:27 am, wrote:
Just wondering how similar these two ships are to fly. Performance
numbers seem to be in the same neighborhood. I've been flying our
club's 1-34 and have gotten comfortable with it. What should I expect
if I were to step into the 2-32?

Thanks.

My quick response is "not very". The 2-32 is a truck; I compare it
to the Cessna 1-82. I personally like it, and I've even done some XC
in them. But, nobody is ever going to describe it as nimble or easy
to thermal (though it's certainly not bad). There are some quirks,
specifically the tendency to spin like a top with a very pronounced
wing drop if you get slow and a little uncordinated. Also, as with
anything that has that much mass, it tends to want to go in whatever
direction it's pointed. I'm thinking in terms of landing and rollout,
for example.

In my experience, not too many places seem to let low or moderate time
pilots fly 2-32s. They're very valuable for the ride business given
the ability to carry 2 pax plus a pilot. Most of them spend their
life flying "mile high" rides within 3 miles of the airport. Check
for solidified vomit deposits.

Erik