Old October 31st 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

Default Thermalling the D2

I have never flown a Discus, nor anything close, but when I was
learning to fly 23 years ago, my instructor told me to keep a little
top rudder in turns and when thermalling. I tried to keep that in mind
but it was not until I transitioned to glass years later that I really
discovered why: slipping a little makes centering the thermal easier
and that results in better climb. This has been true whether I was
flying a 2-33, 1-34, BG-12, even a T-31, but it is especially noticable
in my LS-1.

Fox Two wrote:
Hi All!

I'm currently a Discus CS driver with a new D2-b coming in about 3
months from the factory. I've found that thermalling the CS with the
yaw string slightly high in the turn yields a better climb - I'm
curious to hear about thermalling techniques from the D2 veterans.

Thanks in advance!
Chris, F2