Old September 1st 05, 12:17 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:25:53 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
R7qRe.79145$084.55689@attbi_s22::

Don't you think it's foolhardy to ...

Personally, I think the off-topic articles tend to drive away those
who expect to find aviation related information and discussion in
rec.aviation.piloting; I'm referring to original articles here, not
follup articles (It's probably futile to attempt to constrain follup
discussion). If you choose to dilute the appropriate content by
posting articles that lack aviation relevance, let alone 'piloting'
relevance, your action reduces the signal-to-noise ratio, and drives
away those potential participants who may wish to participate in more
serious piloting discussion and provide relevant on-topic content, in
my opinion.

I know you have met many of the readers of this newsgroup, and you
want to discuss your feelings about off-topic matters with them, but
the world is on the party-line, so to speak. Like most marketers, you
only consider your agenda. Deliberately posting off-topic is rude and
inconsiderate; think about it.

The choice is ours. We can homogenize the newsgroup's content until
it's an unrecognizable Spam like product, or we can try to confine our
non-follup articles to on-topic subjects.