Old October 13th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

Default Tow Signals

On 12 Oct 2006 08:53:26 -0700, wrote:

Now, this leads me to another point of this subject...how many
pilots are taking off with their brakes open because it "helps them
achieve faster aileron response" ? And then how many pilots are taking
off in flapped gliders with negative flaps? Now imagine combination of
negative flaps and open brakes right on the take off. Isn't that a
recipe for disaster?

Nope.

I do it always this way - because the glider I fly (AS22-2) has an
aileron authority of precisely nil if the airbrakes are not opened and
the wind is less than 15 miles exactly from the front.

Pretty complex since aileron authority starts late and therefore the
flaps have to be kept extended till about 30 kts, immediately followed
by a very smooth move from negativ to neutral flaps.

Some gliders simply require this... unfortunately.

For the ones who wonder: The ASH-25 has a lot better aileron authority
during the first phase of the aerotow.

Bye
Andreas