Old May 20th 20, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luc Job[_2_]

Default AOA indicator poll.

Hi Mike!

I fly also with gasoline... And I think that the problem is different.

-GA AOA are relatively big... Gliders panels are small... And I prefer to have as much visibility as possible in the glider, So I won't add something directly in my eyesight, even a HUD... I fly in mountains, so I look at the rocks and other gliders, and it seldom stays straight ahead in front of the nose when it needs attention...

-GA AOA are not progressive, each bar is basically on-off... And it will focus your attention on the instrument each time that one of this bar will change... This is excessively disturbing in my point of view. A progressive change of color and position of the indicator can be caught by the peripheral vision... You can stay focused on what's important without missing the information.

-An added aggressive sound is useless in a stress situation... Look at all the planes that made belly landings with the gear warning shouting... A spoken warning is more explicit, but if it is Ok in a GA aircraft and for something that has time to be corrected, it takes too much time on a glider entering stall in a rough thermal... by the time the system says 'Pull' + interpretation of the message by your brain + action on the stick, it's too late...

Altering the normal sound progressively looks more efficient and less disturbing... I had a Zander 940 (It died for 2 years, very good vario), and it did exactly that: distorting the audio when approaching stall... Once you get used to that, your reaction will be instant and automatic. On my system, adding distortion means analog processing of the audio and that's more complex than hashing the signal, and has the same effect... I must tune that but presently the timebase is about 1/10 seconds: If you are at stall AOA, the audio is cut 100%, and if your AOA is half way between Cz max and stall, the signal will be cut 5/100 seconds and audible the remaining 5/100...

And it doesn't take many training hours to push the stick automatically when the sound looks strange... And push it full forward if it becomes dead silent.