Old August 24th 04, 08:25 PM
Marc Ramsey

Mark James Boyd wrote:
An excellent point. I've found myself more than once skidding
because of wind creating an illusion close to the ground. The
only way I've found to counter it is being aware of the wind, and
using slow roll rates and shallow banks close to the ground (so I don't
need much rudder anyway).

*Listen* to what Kirk (and others) have said about this. The last thing
you want to do when thermalling down low is use a shallow bank angle.
It is just too easy to lose track of what you are doing, and end up a
bit too slow in a skidding turn. It is far safer to be in a properly
coordinated turn with a 40 to 50 degree bank angle. Every glider I've
ever flown gives a much better warning of impending departure in a tight
turn, plus the visual (nose above horizon) and physical (G forces
slacking off) cues are much more pronounced.

Marc