Old October 9th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

Default When to descend

On 10/9/2007 1:20 PM, Steven P. McNicoll wrote the following:

He doesn't say whether this is an actual clearance received or a
hypothetical scenario. The book phraseology would be, "Cleared to UDUZI,
maintain four thousand until entering the TAA, cleared RNAV runway niner
left approach." If he's already crossed the TAA boundary the clearance
would be just, "Cleared RNAV runway niner left approach."

"Cleared direct UDUZI, maintain 4000' until established, cleared RNAV 9L
approach." sounds like a lot of clearances I have received. Possibly not by the
book verbiage, but real world IMHO.

Why would you read anything into it? I'm not being argumentative; I just don't
understand why you would not "maintain 4000' until established" and at that
point begin to descend. Or, if you didn't like the profile, get back to ATC and
"request lower."

It could be that ATC had crossing traffic at 3000' -- no?