Old October 9th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default When to descend

"gman" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm with Mitty on this one. AIM Section 5-4-5.d.4(b) Says:

"Pilots entering the TAA and cleared by air traffic control, are
expected to proceed directly to the IAF associated with that area of
the TAA at the altitude depicted, unless otherwise cleared by air
traffic control."

If the clearance was indeed "...maintain 4000 until established" that
would fit the "..unless otherwise cleared by air traffic control"
clause.

You didn't go far enough:

"Cleared direct to an Initial Approach Fix (IAF) without a clearance for the
procedure does not authorize a pilot to descend to a lower TAA altitude. If
a pilot desires a lower altitude without an approach clearance, request the
lower TAA altitude."

To put this to a test, ask yourself when would you report established
on the approach if asked by ATC to ".. report established on the
approach"? My answer would be when I'm on one of the depicted
portions of the approach and not the TAA.

My answer would be when I'm within the TAA, because a TAA is by definition a
published portion of the approach.

TERMINAL ARRIVAL AREA (TAA)? The TAA is controlled airspace established in
conjunction with the Standard or Modified T and I RNAV approach
configurations. In the standard TAA, there are three areas: straight-in,
left base, and right base. The arc boundaries of the three areas of the TAA
are published portions of the approach and allow aircraft to transition from
the en route structure direct to the nearest IAF. TAAs will also eliminate
or reduce feeder routes, departure extensions, and procedure turns or course
reversal.

I guess one could argue that the TAA is a depicted portion of the
approach but I can't find any official publication pointing to that
fact.

It's in the Pilot/Controller Glossary.