Old May 28th 18, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Default Kestrel 19 info wanted.

On Monday, 28 May 2018 02:51:06 UTC-4, wrote:
Is more airbrake really needed on a Kestrel? I've never had a chance to fly...

YES. Even the PoH mentions that the airbrakes aren't very effective! At best, they add about 1.5 kt of sink on my ship.

There are 35-degree landing flaps and, if needed, the drogue chute (I practice with it at my home field); the airbrakes are used to fine-tune the approach. Lots of planning and adjusting in the circuit to make a decent approach.