Old March 29th 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Schweizer 1-26 question

On Friday, March 29, 2013 1:40:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Back in the early 1960s my Dad attended the Schweizer Soaring School in Elmira, NY earning his glider rating as well as his A and B Badges. We were on our family vacation and I was just a tike but remember the field being busy with gliders coming and going. What made this especially fun was that there was this one fiery friendly candy machine that was more than happy to dispense Chuckles (one of my favorite candies) whether you fed it any money or not. dad was happy flying the gliders wholes I was getting fat and happy on the Chuckles. Anyway, while grounded I've been spending an inordinate amount of time searching the web for pictures and videos on gliders. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who thinks that a 1-26 with just the right paint job is an absolutely beautiful looking little sailplane? I keep thinking that maybe I'd like to have one of those things! What do you guys think? Can a guy have fun with a simple sailplane like the 1-26 or do you have to buy glass to really enjoy the sport? Thank you for your input! Brian Lott

1-26's remain a very good way to have a lot of safe, challanging fun on a small budget.
AND- you get to have them in cool colors.
UH