Old November 3rd 20, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Old Folks Poll

"And, finally, a much different set of requirements to manage the technology. In the old days, it helped if you knew how to sand and fill metal wings to keep the gliders competitive. Now it helps to be tech savvy with interfaces, communications protocols, file formats, multiple tech platforms and OSs, etc. Then, as now, you can pay someone to do this and/or lean on your friends. But while the sailplanes themselves are evolving more slowly, keeping up with the technology from an IT perspective is more difficult."

Great response Chip - and I really hadn't thought about the evolution in necessary skills set, but it's true. Alot of things we learned to do over the years are now quite relevant and many things my students want to know about, I know very little of.

Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur . . . and it's getting cold outside.
ROY