Old April 1st 05, 02:28 PM
Dave Stadt

"John T Lowry" wrote in message
k.net...

"Rich Lemert" wrote in message
link.net...
Back when I was growing up on the farm, we used several powered
implements that received their power from the tractor through a power
take-off assembly. Somewhere on the device's power train, between the
PTO take-off and the "business end" of the apparatus, there was always
either a belt-drive or a coupling fitted with a "shear" pin. Both of
these systems were intended to protect that tractor (and the
implement)
by failing if the implement bit off more than it could handle.

This morning, while driving past the airport on my way to work, the
thought occured to me that a shear pin could be used to protect
airplane engines (at least partially) from prop strikes. My
understanding is that the props on light singles (at least) are
connected directly to the engine's drive shaft.

Recognizing that this issue is driven as much by regulation as by
anything, I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to using shear
pins in these systems. Would it reduce the need for a complete (or
partial) tear-down after a prop strike? Would there be any benefit for
more complex propeller arrangements?

Any thoughts?

Rich Lemert

Sounds to me like an idea worth pursuing. Could have two shear pins,
with visually checkable integrity during preflight inspection, to
counter the problem of one failing.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

Now you have added two additional points of failure.