View Single Post
Old May 15th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default task not completed ClearNavII

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:26:43 AM UTC-4, BobWa43 wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 11:14:57 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 10:04:24 AM UTC-4, BobWa43 wrote:
I am new to ClearNav2. I have planned and flown two FAI tasks using the ClearNav2. ClearNav gave me a start time and changed from the start to first way point and then to the second way point, and then to the finish but no finish was acknowledged. I had the same task in my Nano and my Oudie, both recorded a completed task and the Oudie gave me a "task finished" announcement. This sequence applies to both flights. When the flights were analyzed on SeeYou, the files from the Nano and Oudie produced task completed analysis while the files from the ClearNav in one case said no valid start and in the other only the start was acknowledged. Does ClearNavII give a task completed statement like the Oudie? This is very frustrating. Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong. I would be happy to email the flight files to anyone who is interested and could help.Thanks ,
BobW

CN doesn't give a task complete message. I guess the developers thought the typical user wouldn't need that announcement :-).

There is an issue with GPS time offsets as Dave mentions. It doesn't take anything like ten minutes to get the proper time, but it's good practice to have the computer on for at least 5 minutes before flight. The work around in the event of a problem log due to the time jump is to D/L again at 4 second interval. The thing that's coughing up errors in the analysis is an out of sequence time stamp.

best,
Evan Ludeman

" I guess the developers thought the typical user wouldn't need that announcement" Are snide comments like this really necessary?

Snide? No....

It's pretty /obvious/ to most of us when we finish a task! Putting an announcement on the device is at best a video game like distraction (you're probably busy with your airport arrival & landing).

The purpose of the Nav device is to give the pilot useful information in flight. Whether or not you task is valid, complete and suitable for the record books or daily win is the stuff of post flight analysis.

Evan Ludeman