Old June 29th 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default Returning to soaring after long time away...best BFR/refresherstudy material?

Mark,

Welcome back.

Were you ever an instructor in uniform? You can turn that into a new instructor rating that would reset your CFIG.

My suggestion would be to set a standard; perhaps CFIG PTS as a goal. When ready, fly with a DPE. You'll reset you CFIG and will have been tested to today's standards, so you'll know you are good to go.

A personal pet peeve because instructors are supposed to set standards - if you look at the FAA's Circular on 61.56 Flight Reviews, you'll see the term "BFR" has been deprecated over 20 years now. They specifically say that "24 calendar months" is not "two years"... (Back then they were considering annual flight reviews for pilots with less than 400 hours total time.)

You will, of course, need to be compliant with 61.56 before you fly solo. There are more ways to do that than "just" a flight review. You can do some online training at faasafety.gov and three flight tasks with an instructor and be "legal." If you take my DPE suggestion above and only fly dual until the check ride then the check ride resets 61.56, too.

As I said above, welcome back and best of luck getting current and proficient again.

Terry