Old June 30th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default ZeroAvia's Val Miftakhov makes a compelling case for hydrogen aviation

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 00:00:07 -0000, wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 23:36:54 -0000,
wrote:

Most airports don't even offer MOGAS and you think they are going
to install huge solar arrays and cryo-coolers to produce liquid
hydrogen?

Perhaps.

Yeah, sure, when hell freezes over and hippopotamus fly.

If my preliminary calculations are near correct, I would expect LH2
generating facilities to reside on-premises to avoid the loss of
efficiency in transporting it for delivery.

Your conclusion that 'huge solar arrays' would be necessary may be
incorrect. Have a look here

Don't forget the energy required to do something with the
hydrogen to make it usefull, such as compression.

Liquid H2 doesn't require compression, only cooling; LH2 is stored at
ambient atmospheric pressure.

You are correct to mention the power required to produce LH2. It is
surprising how little power is required by a cryo-cooler. The
cryo-cooler in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PWESWqhD8s
only required ~150 Watts for ~one hour to produce ~four oz of liquid
air.

And again, if airports won't offer MOGAS, what in the world makes
you think there is any motivation to install a hydrogen production
facility?

You are thinking in the immediate present; I'm thinking in the future.
A week or so ago, who would have thought that white people throughout
the world would demonstrate in the streets by the thousands for black
equality. These are remarkable times indeed. Have you been following
the advancements being made in physics and cosmology lately? Exciting.