Old July 1st 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Returning to soaring after long time away...best BFR/refresherstudy material?

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 4:24:44 PM UTC-4, Mark Rose wrote:
Thank you all for the comments. I was a little lost on how to get started when I posted this and now I think I have a solid way forward.

I was not a flyer in the military, so no IP credentials to convert over.

I downloaded the free FAA Glider Flying Handbook and I am reading through that (though basic). Also, I am watching all of the Soaring Safety Foundation videos and tools--very helpful. Also, I bought Condor 2 and found there is a whole instructional piece to it, so I am going to go through that and fly there to regain some muscle memory. Last, it is dry reading, but I bought the latest FAR and sectional for AZ, so I will pour through those as well. I also saw a American Flyers FIRC for Life course for $99, which may be a great step when I am little further down the road.

While I am waiting for TSC to accept me and get started there, it occurred to me that Arizona Soaring is just down the road. I may try to drive up soon and see if I can get a little air time and basic instruction. I'd really like to get checked out in their Genesis 2 when able.

Not a pilot again, but will be soon!

Mark

the free FAA Glider Flying Handbook, you may want to make it a game to see how many errors you can find in that book. Alternatively, you can buy the revised version put out by Tom Knauff - IIRC he said he and his team made 12,000 corrections to that text.