Old September 9th 04, 10:59 AM
Cub Driver

Default insurance for Sport Pilots!

I always figured that the test on the new Sport Pilot rules would be
how the new category would be treated by insurance companies. After
all, if I can't get insurance, I can't rent the Cub! Here's the
answer, which also indirectly addresses the question of how much
safety we're giving up by allowing very-lightplane pilots to fly
without an aeromedical exam, from the Aero-News Propwash email letter
this morning:

Avemco Ready for Sport Pilots

Avemco Insurance
Company, the only direct writer of aviation insurance in the US,
has announced that it is now able to insure Sport Pilots flying in
Standard Certificated and Experimental Amateur Built Aircraft that
meet the definition of Light Sport Aircraft.

"Aviators flying under Sport Pilot privileges can enjoy the same
level of service experienced by all Avemco customers. Avemco
anticipates it will also insure both the Special LSA and
Experimental LSA airplanes as they become available to Sport
Pilots," said Jim Lauerman, Executive Vice President and Chief
Underwriting Officer.

In addition,
Avemco's popular non-owner policies will be available to
Sport Pilots. "We will have an endorsement to permit
non-owner coverage for the Special and Experimental Light Sport
Aircraft as well," Lauerman added.

Although Sport Pilots can fly with reduced medical examination
requirements and fewer hours of instruction than Recreational or
Private Pilots, Avemco notes that Sport Pilots also have
restrictions regarding aircraft weight, speed, seating capacity,
and certain operating limits that other pilots do not face.

"Our experience indicates that these factors should
balance out." said Lauerman.

He is optimistic that the small differences he anticipates in
the early years of LSA coverage will diminish as data are
collected, so that eventually there will be little difference for
the pilot who obtains LSA insurance. Right now, he stressed, Avemco
is prepared to insure pilots who will be joining today's
pilot ranks as a result of the new Sport Pilot movement. Avemco
Insurance Company, the leading pleasure and business general
aviation insurer in the United States, has been insuring planes and
pilots since 1961.
FMI: www.avemco.com, http://www.faa.gov/AVR/afs/sportpilot/faq.doc

For the WHOLE story, go to
http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav....a-404e0bcfcce8