Old February 5th 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Possible Android Tablet?

On Feb 5, 10:53*am, bildan wrote:
On Feb 5, 9:16*am, Tim Taylor wrote:

What say those whom would know of such things?

I am afraid that the 10" screen is likely too large for most cockpits.
They did not provide specifications so hard to tell details on the
screen type. *I would watch for the announcement of a 7" tablet with a
Pixel Qi display. They should be in the $350 USD range later this year
with Andriod 3.

10" too big? *It depends.

If you make a mount that places the device over the existing panel but
allows it to flip up so the old analog instruments can be seen if
needed - then add the old analog data to the computer screen as
vertical tapes you have a glass cockpit.

So far, the screens aren't easily readable in direct sunlight but
that's changing - Pixel Qi technology is only one example.

Yes, if you could replace all the analog devices and do one "glass
display" the 10" might work.

For those wondering about displays a good comparison of upcoming
technologies that Bill mentioned:

http://besttabletreview.com/a-compar...ablet-screens/

I think Pixle Qi is about a year ahead of the others at this point.
You can buy a 10" display today and likely a 7" with 1040 x 600
resolution within six months or less. The technologies are not
perfect but will be a big step forward for low power consumption
sunlight viewable displays.

A good youtube video of the Pixel Qi vs the iPad outside in sunlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NotK4TVQ-6E

More on the 7" display:

http://liliputing.com/2011/01/first-...s-tablets.html

It will be an interesting year or so with the new technologies coming
very quickly.