View Single Post
Old July 29th 16, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA (Results, reports, media...)

"Just say no to SPOT" is very appropriate for the viewing experience that Sean is driving toward. However,the SSA Sailplane Tracking Committee has been very careful to distinguish that SPOT/InReach are recommended onboard for emergency recovery and emergency messaging. The mobile tracking apps are quantifiably better for viewing flights and this is there strong suit. Luckily Pedja has devoted many hours to writing code allowing a pilot to have multiple devices.

Please carry your SPOT/InReach in the tracking mode for emergency purposes and carry your mobile tracking app for spectator viewing purposes. Also, carry a spare phone battery so you will be sure to have phone juice in the event of a landout. My Iphone 6 will last about six hours in tracking mode. Earlier models have less efficient GPS's and therefore drain the battery sooner.

Also, we have found that creating a user account on GlidePort and registering all your devices directly with GlidePort is necessary for full utility. Please make sure your SSA number is correct in your GlidePort account so Winscore can find you. The SSA server uploads data to GlidePort but it may take several days before new data from the SSA is integrated in the GlidePort database.

When you use a mobile tracking app do not turn it on hours before launch like you do with SPOT/InReach. To preserve phone battery the apps recognize they are not in flight and hibernate. Turn on the app as you are getting your chute on. Glance at it before the race start and make sure the the Apple version does not report "cold" in the status banner. Make sure the Android version has a green "go" light. If either are not active, "stop and start" the tracking to wake it up. Then go have fun and let the mobile app do its thing. Afterwards you can email yourself the IGC file for study or OLC upload.

Sean and gang are doing a great job of promoting a race, day by day. Its hard work. Its amazingly hard to get the competitors to recognize the usefulness of real time tracking, its hard to remind them to turn it on, its frustrating when there are gaps in coverage, its hard for the commentators to keep the chatter interesting for a whole race and its hard to take negative comments from onlookers. I think Sean's effort is a watershed event in many regards. We have a lot to learn from it. Only through efforts like this will learn what works and what needs improving. This race and its efforts strike a chord with me. It is moving promotion in the direction I believe it needs to go. Just "say yes" to good promotion in whatever form it takes.

Thanks Guys!