Old July 23rd 17, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Reid

Default New House Thermal

At 11:12 22 July 2017, wrote:
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 4:23:32 AM UTC-4,

wrote:
The Treasure Coast Soaring Club will soon have a new house thermal.

Flori=
da Power And Light is in the process of building a 400 acre solar power
pla=
nt within 3/4 mile from our airport. Heat from this type of farm should
mak=
e for a great house thermal. Anyone out there with experience flying over
s=
olar farms? Thanks, Bob

Flew over the two massive projects yesterday and the panels are about
ready=
for installation. Certainly looks impressive with the layout of the

panel
=
frames and other equipment. Bob

Long discussion in the UK forum a while back about whether solar farms were

thermal sources. Seemed inconclusive. Remember they are designed to turn
solar energy into electricity' not heat. And although the panels are black,
they
are also pretty reflective. My theory, but not proven in flight, is that
they
should be good late in the day having warmth trapped beneath the panels.
Anyone prepared to share personal experience of using, or trying to use
them
as thermal sources?