Old May 20th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z15

Default Crazy Idea # 54-1A i.e. Erase all State Soaring Records every 10 years..

Nick,

I know your also interested in straight out opportunities, perhaps a Soaring Record version similar to what Bob Maronde uses for tracking the Straight Out Cross Country Results? Its simple, informal, effective, and most important gets sent out in a timely fashion when there are updates. The last item being an unavoidable problem with the 1-2 month print delay with any magazine. The down side is most people have no idea it exists having only found it myself when researching straight out soaring ideas, so I think the big challenge would be getting the word out. Maybe at that point SSA can pick up the individual record story. All I can say is the Newsletter email "Gets my attention" when it shows up in my inbox. Anyway, just a thought and trying to help.

Bryce

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 11:32:54 AM UTC-7, Morgan wrote:
Trying to find ways to motivate people to stay active and involved is a significant challenge.

The Pacific Soaring Council has a number of awards that you could replicate for your state or region.

https://www.pacificsoaring.org/awards/awards.html

Fair warning, I don't think these produce a lot of motivation. If it wasn't for Ramy doing all of the OLC analysis, I'm not sure too many people would even notice if they disappeared.

We also had to modify the rules. Basically Ramy's fault. Some awards have limits on how many times they can be won. Otherwise it's just the Ramy show at awards time. Total distance awards skew towards people with the skills and time available to fly long distances and lots of days.

Our club has a number of fun annual awards which are great for a good end of season presentation and light ribbing at the local level.

Good luck,

Morgan