Old March 24th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

Default Zaon MRX causing radio interference

Here is a reply I sent to JJ's note on March 9 2007. As an added bonus
a question (good for EE job interview): Why does wrapping DC power
cord around ferrite core work to suppress noise? The supply and return
currents should cancel itself.

John's choke is a real overkill, but it is "guarranteed to work".
Coils are JW Miller & Bourns FB20010-3B-RC (DigiKey M8694-ND - may be
different now) cost
about 70-85 cents each depending how many you buy. Capacitor is a
standard ceramic 0.47 microFarad. I may have used 1 uF. I do not have
part number, but there is nothing particularly special about it (just
do not get one rated for 1kV ).

----WWWW-----WWWW----
-----
-----
----WWWW-----WWWW----

Best I can do for schematic is above. Put it as close to the noise
generator as possible.

Cheers,

Henryk Birecki

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 23:58:25 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

With my new Zaon MRX PCAS mounted on top of my glare shield, I've been
experiencing some radio interference and linked this to the MRX: the
radio gives white-noise static -- like the squelch is not properly
adusted. When I turn the MRX off it goes away.

I've heard putting a "ferrite core" around the MRX's (and the
radio's?) power cord might help. (Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Noise-Filter-Clip...QQcmdZViewItem
).

Does anybody else have this problem? Have you solved it in some way?

Thanks,

Eric
DG-300