Old June 17th 14, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default US Sectionals for GlidePlan now available on soaringdata.info

Hi Lynn,

As the author of GlidePlan, I would like to thank you for going through the effort to make current sectionals available. As I no longer have the time to keep up with sectional releases, the Whole GlidePlan community will benefit from your work. I can provide some software tools that may help with this effort as well.

Cheers,

Matt Herron

On Monday, June 16, 2014 8:52:54 PM UTC-7, 2KA wrote:
On a recent business trip I spent the solitary evenings in the hotel writing the code to automate the production of GlidePlan sectionals. I must have been really bored or something.

Anyway, that means up-to-date sectionals are now available on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. Go to the "Sectionals" tab and find the link for the GlidePlan files. You need to download both the .jpg and the .tfw file, and install them in an appropriately named subfolder of the GlidePlan maps folder.

Production of these is now automated, so my site should always have the latest and greatest, without (much) human intervention.

I'm not yet able to accept requests for custom charts for contest areas and the like. I did the one for the Nephi area just to prove I could do it, but it was a pretty time-consuming process. I might do one or two more if I get bored again sometime. The Nephi chart is available for downloading at the same location as the other sectionals.

As with everything on soaringdata.info, GlidePlan sectionals are completely free. Other stuff on the site includes:

- Current US airport information in formats supporting most glide

computers, and planning software (see the airports tab)

- Special Use and ATC-controlled airspace, including popular soaring

formats as well as those that support certain recreational GPS

receivers (see the Airspace Tab)

- US TFR airspace (See the TFRs tab)

- Current US sectional charts in formats supporting SeeYou and Google

Earth

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley

"2KA"