Old November 30th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Max Weight of Non Lift Producing Components

While studying for my Flight Engineer license back in the 70s (do they
have Flight Engineers any more?), it was explained that the max weight
of non lifting components had to do with the strength (bending moments)
of the wing spar.Â* Help us out here, Steve L.

MTOW has, I believe, to do with landing gear, brakes, tires, etc. Think
MV**2 during an aborted takeoff.Â* Higher weight - higher takeoff speed
- WAY higher energy to dissipate, that V squared component.

On 11/30/2017 2:40 AM, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le jeudi 30 novembre 2017 05:39:23 UTC+1, a écritÂ*:
From the BGA:

5. Non-Lifting Parts. For sailplanes where the Leading Particulars specify a maximum weight
of non-lifting parts, it will additionally be necessary to weigh the wings to enable the weight of the
fuselage and tailplane to be calculated; this is the empty weight of non-lifting parts.

I can't say what the significance of exceeding the max would be, but from general life experience exceeding the max of anything is usually a bad idea.

RC

Exeeding max weight of non-lifting parts makes you exceeding the structural limits of the plane (i.e. you start eating up the safety factor of 1.5), which is generally acknowledged as being a fairly stupid idea.

MTOW is not really connected to max weight of non-lifting parts.

--
Dan, 5J